File this post under “whimsical,” folks. I’ve been a mother for a little over nine years now. My youngest child has just turned three, and I’m still in that “Mommy, carry me” phase, at times. My purse is bursting at the seams (but not with money), my memory is fuzzy, my feet are tired, and my body is jiggly, but I’m pretty happy with life. 🙂
Over the years, I have spent more hours than I care to admit playing role-playing games (RPG), such as Neverwinter Nights, Baldur’s Gate, and some others I can’t remember right now. One of the things I enjoy about those games is the magical items a character can equip, to modify her natural abilities.
So, I got to thinking, what if I could create a new class of character? In addition to Mage, Ranger, Rogue, Warrior, etc., there should be a Mother class! A Mother would have a special combination of powerful abilities, including some borrowed from the other classes.
Given the qualities and attributes that I now possess (brain fog, stretch marks, etc.), I would be very interested in obtaining certain pieces of special equipment. These would magically boost my strengths and minimize my weaknesses.
Here are the mythical, magical items that would be on my Top Eleven list, if I were a Mother in the RPG of life:
- Handbag of Infinite Holding. No more overstuffed purse or diaper bag. Everything fits inside, without the wearer becoming over-encumbered by the weight.
- Gloves of Dexterity. Maintains softness of touch, but gives the wearer manual dexterity equal to having a third hand.
- Boots of Lightness. Reduces weight upon the feet of the wearer, especially when standing on a scale.
- Girdle of Constitution. Provides the wearer ample strength to bear any physical burden, and causes stretch marks and cellulite to disappear.
- Helm of Mental Acuity. Dispels brain fog, improves wisdom with age, and prevents wearer from being deceived.
- Bow of Justice + Arrows of Mercy. Enables precise, appropriate defensive attacks or punishments, as needed.
- Cloak of Patience. Casts a spell of calm and inner peace upon the wearer, in even the most chaotic environment.
- Breastplate of Love. Warms the hearts of the wearer and those in her midst.
- Amulet of Healing. Empowers the wearer with magical hugs and kisses, which can be used to heal others.
- Ring of Rest. When activated, allows the wearer to continue adventuring without sleep.
- Shovel of Clearing. Essential equipment for any Mother, this shovel digs through any pile of literal or figurative crap, leaving a clean, clear path to tread.